R&TTE（ Radio and Telecommunications Terminal Equipment Directive）
On March 9, 1999, the Directive 1999/5/EC for Radio and Telecommunications Terminal Equipment was passed by the European Parliament and the Commission. This directive covers all wireless devices, and all equipment intended to connect with the public telecommunications network. The directive develops rules and regulations for product market launch, free flow and put-in-use
Products covered by R&TTE Directive
- Short-range wireless remote control products (SRD) such as: remote control toy car, remote control alarm system, remote control doorbell, remote control switches, remote mouse and keyboard.
- Professional radio-controlled products (PMR) for example: professional wireless walkie-talkies, wireless microphones. Corded telephone, fax, MODEM, answering machine, small switchboard (PABX), cordless phones CTO, CT1, CT1 + ..., ISDN (digital phone products), DECT (Digital Enhanced Cordless Telephone), GSM, CDMA ...
- Bluetooth products such as: Bluetooth headset.
Basic requirements of R&TTE Directive
- Based on security requirements (with no voltage limit) of Low Voltage Directive 2006/95/EC (the Directive replaces the earlier Low Voltage Directive 73/23/EEC), which is about the health and safety protection for the user and any other person. (Requirements of clause 3.1a in the Directive)
- Based on EMC protection requirements of Directive 2004/108/EC (which replaced the earlier Directive 89/336/EC Directive). (Requirements of clause 3.1b in the Directive)
- Effective use of radio spectrum resources in order to prevent harmful interference (Requirements of clause 3.2 in the Directive)
Eurofins offers the following testing and certification services regarding radio and communication terminal products:
- EMC testing
- LVD testing (in Directive 2006/95/EC, LVD testing is required for RF products with battery input.)
- Tests for radio communications equipment according to the European ETSI standards and the U.S. FCC standards.
- Notification of the spectrum allowed by Europe
- CTR (TBR) testing
- Electrical safety and health protection test (SAR evaluation)